Why should I be in EAOP if I'm not sure I want to go to a UC?

It’s true, EAOP can help you become a competitive UC applicant, but it also can help you become a competitive applicant for other colleges at the same time. In fact, if you meet the UC eligibility requirements then you are also eligible to apply for most colleges and universities across the country. For example, someone who is UC eligible qualifies for all CSU campuses and community colleges.

However, private colleges have their own requirements that may or may not be different from the UC. You must research the schools on your own. The great thing is that being in EAOP can’t hurt you. No matter what schools you plan on ultimately applying to, being in EAOP will help you on your journey to the college of your choice.

I've heard the terms "eligibility" and "competitive eligibility." What is the difference?

Eligibility means that a student has met all the basic entrance requirements (coursework, GPA, entrance exams). To be competitively eligible means that the student goes beyond the basic requirements. To gain admission to more selective colleges, students should focus on being competitively eligible.

My child is unable to participate in after-school academic enrichment activities. Do any such activities take place at other times?

Some activities take place on the weekends or in the summer. Also look for opportunities that may be short-term (a couple of weeks) since adjusting your family's schedule for shorter periods may be easier.

What if I receive a poor grade in an “a-g” course?

Talk to your high school counselor immediately. You may have several different options:

  • Retaking the course (this is the option that should be taken whenever possible)
  • Taking a comparable course at a community college
  • Taking an approved online course

Your counselor will help you make the best decision. The key is to address this quickly!

What do college admissions reviewers look for when examining a student’s extra-curricular activities?

Colleges prefer to see sustained participation over time in a few activities, rather than minimal participation in numerous clubs. A strong applicant will demonstrate service in leadership roles.

Where can I find “a-g” courses for my high school?

Visit the A-G Course List to look up your school's offerings. You can also speak directly with your counselor.

What is the difference between the ACT and the SAT?

The ACT is an achievement test, measuring what you have learned in school. The SAT Reasoning Test is more like an aptitude exam, testing reasoning and verbal abilities.

The ACT has up to 5 components: English, Mathematics, Reading, Science, and an optional Writing Test. If you take the ACT, UC requires that you take the ACT Plus Writing.

The SAT Reasoning Test has 3 components: Reading, Mathematics, and Writing. (There are also SAT Subject Tests, usually not required for admission to colleges, but taken voluntarily to show aptitude in a given subject.) See glossary.

Many students opt to take both exams, to find out which suits them best. Counselors can provide more information about the exams.

What are my options if I am undocumented?

Never let your residency status hold you back from pursuing your dreams. You can still apply and be admitted to a 4-year college or university. Due to AB 540, as long as you have attended and will graduate from a California high school, you can even pay in-state tuition - the same tuition that everyone else who lives in California has to pay. And now with the California Dream Act Application, undocumented students are now able to receive state financial aid, such as the Cal Grant. Moreover, always remember, you can receive as much scholarship money as you can find. Just be sure to watch out for requirements. Some scholarships require that you be a US citizen or permanent resident. But there are some scholarships out there that do not have this requirement. For a list of some scholarships like this, please visit Mexican Alliance Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF) and click “Scholarships lista de becas” on the right.

Another alternative is to go the community college route, work on your paperwork, and transfer to a 4-year university later.

How do I know if I qualify for a fee waiver for the SAT Reasoning Test, SAT Subject Test, ACT or college admissions?

If your family qualifies for free or reduced-cost lunch, you will qualify for a fee waiver. The high school counselor will have information on fee waivers for the ACT and SAT. Get more information about fee waivers online in the links below.

SAT Fee Waivers

ACT Fee Waivers

College is too expensive. How can I afford it?

Never let money stand in the way of your education! There are thousands of SCHOLARSHIPS out there that students let pass them by every year. This is FREE MONEY, so don't let it slip away. California GRANTS (CalGrants) are also free money. Qualification depends on your family income and the number of students attending college per household - but you have to apply. Usually, if you believe that you won’t be able to afford college, you probably already qualify for financial aid.

There are also all kinds of LOANS that you or your parents may receive. Most of them don't require you to pay them back until after you graduate college. You must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the GPA Verification Form or the California Dream Act Application by March 2 in order to be considered for state and federal aid.

But when applying to colleges, keep in mind that California public universities offer top-notch education at affordable prices. And if you absolutely know that you will not be able to afford 4 years at a university, you can always go the community college route for the first couple of years.